Tonight the entire music industry will convene inside the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California for the 58th annual Grammy Awards. Heralded as the most prestigious award a musical artist can win, the Grammys are the biggest night in all of music. Country music is going to be well represented during the telecast with performances by Carrie Underwood with Sam Hunt, Little Big Town, Luke Bryan as part of a tribute to Lionel Richie, and Chris Stapleton as part of a tribute to B.B. King.
In addition to the several performances, country music is also among the nominees in three of the night’s all-genre categories. Sam Hunt is up for New Artist of the Year, Little Big Town’s smash hit “Girl Crush” is up for Song of the Year, and Chris Stapleton’s album Traveller is up for Album of the Year. Check out who I think will walk away big winners tonight below and make sure to follow us on twitter (@ACCMblog) as I will be live tweeting the show!
Best Solo Country Performance
- “Burning House” – Cam
- “Traveller” – Chris Stapleton
- “Little Toy Guns” – Carrie Underwood
- “John Cougar, John Deere, John 3:16” – Keith Urban
- “Chances Are” – Lee Ann Womack
Should Win: Lee Ann Womack easily delivers the most fantastic vocal performance out of these five nominees and should claim the victory here.
Will Win: With a nomination in the overall Album of the Year category it won’t be a surprise to see Chris Stapleton walk away with his first Grammy win in this category for “Traveller.” However, don’t count out Grammy darling Carrie Underwood.
Best Country Duo/Group Performance
- “Stay a Little Longer” – Brothers Osborne
- “If I Needed You” – Joey + Rory
- “The Driver” – Charles Kelley, Dierks Bentley, Eric Paslay
- “Girl Crush” – Little Big Town
- “Lonely Tonight” – Blake Shelton featuring Ashley Monroe
Should Win: Joey + Rory are the big surprise in this category, but if you listen to each of these songs, it’s clear that they easily deserve to win. The vocal performance on “If I Needed You” is tender, smooth, and simply magical.
Will Win: “Girl Crush” has put Little Big Town on the musical map and is one of the year’s best country songs and performances. Look to them to win their second award in this category.
Best Country Song
- “Chances Are” – Hayes Carll (Lee Ann Womack)
- “Diamond Rings and Old Barstools” – Barry Dean, Luke Laird & Jonathan Singleton (Tim McGraw)
- “Girl Crush” – Hillary Lindsey, Lori McKenna & Liz Rose (Little Big Town)
- “Hold My Hand” – Brandy Clark & Mark Stephen Jones (Brandy Clark)
- “Traveller” – Chris Stapleton (Chris Stapleton)
Should Win: “Girl Crush” is hands down the best written song in this category and with a nomination in the overall Song of the Year category, look to the trio of writers consisting of Hillary Lindsey, Lori McKenna, and Liz Rose to walk away winners.
Will Win: “Girl Crush”
Best Country Album
- Montevallo – Sam Hunt
- Pain Killer – Little Big Town
- The Blade – Ashley Monroe
- Pageant Material – Kacey Musgraves
- Traveller – Chris Stapleton
Should Win: Kacey Musgraves’ sophomore album is pure brilliance from start to finish. Not too many artists can write and deliver instant classics like Kacey Musgraves. Throughout the majority of the year, she was the leader for all Album of the Year titles.
Will Win: With a nomination in the overall Album of the Year category, this is all but a lock for Chris Stapleton to win.